06 September 2009

Complacency

I have been thinking of the word complacency.

First I wanted to look up what it meant. By definition complacency means: a feeling of quiet pleasure or security, often while unaware of some potential danger, defect, or the like; self-satisfaction or smug satisfaction with an existing situation, condition.

Bare with me for a bit, this idea makes me think of the movie Groundhog Day. Where he relives the day over and over again. At first he likes it because he can relive the day over and thinks he can change the outcome. Something isn't done right, and he relives the day over. Soon he becomes discouraged, and finally becomes content that his life will always be stuck on this day. He has lost the feeling of getting to experience a new day, getting to experience new adventures, nothing is new anymore. He has been lulled into this quiet security of reliving the day unaware of the danger.

To be in a state of complacency, it's as though we're living our very own Groundhog Day. At first it seems like change can occur, mirrors make it seem like we have accomplished something, but soon just living becomes our life. We wake up, go about our day, eat at some point, then sleep...only to do it over and over again...never expecting it to change. It is at this point, complacency has replaced expectancy. Coming to this point as a Christian can be deadly to our walk, and to those around us. I would be living my day as though nothing new will happen, and never expecting God. Or more arrogantly that I have learned it all, so what can God show me, I have seen it all...

....Expectancy is what brings the rain.....

When I think of expectancy, I think of when a woman is pregnant. She has this beautiful glow about her, knows that after a certain time, she will get to see her beautiful child. First she must be patient, but in the end all she has to do is push. Of course there's more to it, but that's a basic concept. She doesn't just wake up every day, going about her routine, and satisfied with how her life is going....no she has this sense of great expectancy.

So when I sense satan trying to suck me into a dull life, I go back to the picture of the pregnant woman, I wait on God, and know that after due time I will see what He has placed inside of me. I will patiently seek God, expecting the rain.

1 comment:

  1. Great blog!!!!! Spoke so much to me. Thanks for your words. I wil be looking forward to reading while you're in k-stan. Love ya sis

    ReplyDelete